Please note that I may earn a small commission from purchases made through product links in this article. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last updated: May 27, 2022
Decorating the backyard is like adding that very important finishing touch with simple yet effective ideas, without having to spend top dollar for a professional designer.
The sky is the limit when it comes to decorating your backyard, with an endless amount of garden decor products and DIY options to consider.
In this article, I am going to share with you 17 creative and cute backyard decor ideas that will help transform your outdoor space into a cozy and stylish place to be.
17 Decoration Ideas for the Backyard
In no particular order, here are 17 simple yet creative decor ideas for your very own backyard.
1. Garden Trellis
While a garden trellis serves many different functions, it can also act as a simple decoration item in your backyard.
A trellis can come in various shapes and sizes, from small plant and flower holders to large structures that can cover an entire wall.
There are plenty of options available to you when visiting your local garden store, but you can also make one yourself with spare wood.
The other option is to convert an unused household item into a trellis, such as a ladder or even an old bed frame.
2. Decorative Bird Feeder
In my humble opinion, every backyard needs a bird feeder, not only to help our bird friends out during the colder winter months but also because it can work as a decoration item.
There are various types of bird feeders available, and which one you choose is partly dependent on what types of birds frequent your backyard.
- PREMIUM MATERIAL - Made from the high quality transparent acrylic material that...
- DETACHABLE FEED TRAY - Designed with a detachable feed tray that makes it easy...
- KEEP DRY SYSTEM - Features precise laser-drilled drainage holes; This bird...
Choose between clear window feeders, peanut feeders, suet feeders, tube feeders, and hopper feeders, just to name a few. Pick one that is both functional and nice-looking, and monitor how the birds respond.
Check out our guide explaining the different types of bird feeders including pros and cons of each.
3. Tree Stump Decor
If you have an old tree stump in your yard, or otherwise a dying tree that needs to be removed, note that a tree stump can serve well as a backyard decor item.
Preserving a tree stump is not a super difficult process, and it leaves you with something that can be used as a piece of furniture, a planter, a bird feeder, and so much more.
Check out our list of things to do with an old tree stump for more ideas.
4. Garden Gnome
This one is a bit of a cliche, but a garden gnome is a classic decor idea that still works really well.
- OUTDOOR STATUE: Whimsical garden gnone holding a bird looks great in your yard...
- TIMELESS LOOK: Colorful design on a classic yard decoration creates a nostalgic...
- PLAYFUL DESIGN: Fun design adds a playful look while bringing a little bit of...
There are lots of different versions and designs of garden gnomes available now as well, including ones with a somewhat humorous element to them.
Check out our list of garden gnome ideas for a great selection of different types of gnomes to place in the garden or backyard.
5. Outdoor Rug
An outdoor rug can add a bit of warmth and color to a backyard patio, dining area, or deck garden.
- REVERSIBLE MATS: With timeless design, this plastic patio rug is elegant as it...
- PREMIUM QUALITY: This outdoor rug for the beach, camper, or front porch is...
- EASY CLEANING & PORTABLE: For a quick clean simply sweep away dirt with water...
Outdoor rugs come in various designs, and they not only elevate the look of your outdoor space, but they are also functional and versatile.
6. Decor Tire Planter
Old tires that are well past their due date are fantastic as backyard decor items in many different ways.
One of my favorite ways to re-use an old tire is by using them as a planter, either flat on the ground or as a vertical garden against the wall.
To make them even more decorative, paint them in a nice bright color. And if you have a small selection of old tires, use different colors for each.
7. Garden Heron Statues
A pair of heron statues make for a wonderful decoration piece, even more so if you have a small pond in your backyard.
- Lifelike Design: These heron statues are made of textured and layered metal...
- Applicable Scene: Made with thick metal and finished with weather-resistant...
- Dimensions (crane head up): 16.9”W x 7.5”D x 48”H; Dimensions (crane head...
These particular two heron statues are made of metal with a hand-painted patina finish, they stand at almost 50 inches tall, and are very easy to assemble.
8. Backyard Playhouse
A backyard playhouse is a great way to get your kids away from the screens and out into the fresh air.
But not only that, a well-designed and colorful playhouse can also serve as a decoration piece in your outdoor space.
Check out our list of recommended outdoor playhouses for toddlers and kids for some great options.
9. Outdoor Egg Chair
Also referred to as teardrop chairs or pod chairs, egg chairs are designed for comfort, perfect to spend a lazy afternoon in the backyard.
- 【STURDY AND COMFORTABLE】 Seat and frame of egg chair is constructed of...
- 【INTRICATE BUT PORTABLE DESIGN 】All-in-one seat, back and arm cushion also...
- 【EASY TO ASSEMBLE&DISASSEMBLE】 This chair can be folded and stand frame is...
And because of their rather unique shape, an egg chair is often also an eye-catching furniture item that adds value to the overall design of your outdoor patio.
Check out our list of recommended outdoor hanging egg chairs for some great options.
10. Decorative Fence
Fencing doesn’t need to be functional at all, it can also be used to decorate a backyard or garden.
A fence can exist around the backyard as a whole, but it can also be installed within the backyard to create dedicated sections for a playground area, a garden bed, or a seating area.
Personally, I love wooden fencing, but there are also a lot of decorative modern fencing options available.
11. Decor Water Fountain
Not only is a small water fountain in the backyard an amazing decor idea, but it’s also the sound of running water that creates a nice outdoorsy atmosphere.
- 35" high x 15" wide x 16 1/2" deep. Weighs 26 lbs.
- Stone finish fountain with light. From the John Timberland brand.
- Three tiers of water bowls creates a soothing, relaxing sound. Can be used...
This particular water fountain with a stone finish consists of three tiers of water bowls, is 35 inches high, and comes with a water pump and cord.
12. Cute Turtle Garden
What’s great about this cute turtle garden is that it is colorful during the day and generates soft light at night, making it the perfect backyard decoration piece.
- Perfect Garden Decoration: This solar powered Succulent Turtle Statue is...
- Premium Waterproof Materials: Each turtle figurine is hand-painted vibrant...
- Great Gifts Choice: The ornamental garden décor figurines is a perfect gift for...
This particular turtle garden also has a little solar panel that can charge during daylight hours, and then light up automatically when the sun goes down in the evening.
13. Garden Bird House
Birds form part of the overall ecosystem in the backyard or the garden, and often we don’t even notice they are there because we take them for granted.
In addition to bird feeders, a birdhouse will attract more birds to your yard, as it gives them a safe place to nest and to protect themselves against the elements.
And with more birds visiting your backyard, you will also have fewer pests and fewer weeds, and they help with flower pollination.
14. Decorative Outdoor Lights
Outdoor landscape lighting is a fantastic way to create a nice atmosphere in your yard and your garden, while of course also providing visibility where needed.
- Smart App Control: Conveniently manage your 48ft smart outdoor string lights...
- Dimmable Lighting: Adjust the Valentines lights between 1% and 100% via the...
- Shatterproof: With a heavy-duty plastic lampshade, Valentines decor lights...
Outdoor lights come in various forms, but there is no need to invest a large amount of money to install a professional light system.
This particular set of decorative outdoor lights is incredibly easy to install, and can be controlled through a smart app.
15. Backyard Decoration Sign
A decorative backyard welcome sign is a simple way to add a bit of fun to the entertaining area of your backyard.
- BACKYARD WALL DECOR SIGN: Backyard decor sign measures in 8" x 12".
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Backyard sign is made of PVC board,durable and not easy to...
- BACKYARD BAR SIGN: There is a rope tied to the top of the backyard sign,which is...
If you have a look online, you will find many different versions, with most of them having a humorous message on the sign.
16. Wind Chime
A wind chime is a nice decorative addition to any backyard, and can also function as a way to deter wasps, bees, flies, squirrels, and birds.
This particular handmade wind chime consists of agates available in different colors and is able to produce lovely melodic tones.
To avoid excessive noise or even damage, it’s best to install it in a corner of the backyard or porch where there isn’t too much wind.
17. Decorative Patio Cooler
Patio coolers have come a long way when it comes to design and functionality, with now lots of decorative coolers available that look great in your outdoor backyard setting.
Patio coolers come in various styles, such as rolling coolers, standing coolers, and bucket-style patio coolers.
- 7.5 GALLON CAPACITY: The SereneLife Patio Cooler Table has enough space to store...
- KEEPS DRINKS COLD: The rattan ice cooler can keep your drinks cold & cool for up...
- EASY TO USE: Features quick & easy assembly, just need to lift the lid & turn...
Depending on your needs, the ones that look the best are coolers that can double as a wine cooler and bar table.
Have a look at our list of outdoor patio coolers for both functional as well as decorative options.
Simple and affordable backyard landscaping ideas.